WEFOUNDOld Fort Snelling 1819-1858 (TREDITION CLASSICS)


Fort Snelling (1820-1946) - A U.S. Army post first established as Fort St. Anthony in present day St. Paul, Hennepin County, Minnesota. Colonel Josiah Snelling began construction on the permanent fort in 1820. The post was completed and renamed Fort Snelling after Colonel Snelling in 1825. The fort was abandoned in 1857, but reactivated in 1861 by state volunteer troops. Federal troops returned in 1866. Deactivated in 1946.

Located east of the fort was an American Fur Company trading post and south of the fort was a Columbia Fur Company trading post.

Fort Snelling was leased back from the private owner and reactivated in 1861 as a state volunteer training center during the U.S. Civil War . The post was home to some 25,000 Union soldiers during the conflict.

Fort Snelling (1820-1946) - A U.S. Army post first established as Fort St. Anthony in present day St. Paul, Hennepin County, Minnesota. Colonel Josiah Snelling began construction on the permanent fort in 1820. The post was completed and renamed Fort Snelling after Colonel Snelling in 1825. The fort was abandoned in 1857, but reactivated in 1861 by state volunteer troops. Federal troops returned in 1866. Deactivated in 1946.

Located east of the fort was an American Fur Company trading post and south of the fort was a Columbia Fur Company trading post.

Fort Snelling was leased back from the private owner and reactivated in 1861 as a state volunteer training center during the U.S. Civil War . The post was home to some 25,000 Union soldiers during the conflict.

Old Fort Snelling was established in 1819 within the Missouri Territory on ground which later became a part of the Territory of Iowa. Not until 1849 was it included within Minnesota boundaries. Linked with the early annals of Missouri, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, and the Northwest, the history of Old Fort Snelling is the common heritage of many commonwealths in the Upper Mississippi Valley.The period covered in this volume begins with the establishment of the Fort in 1819 and ends with the temporary abandonment of the site as a military post in 1858.

Mississippi rivers the course of both streams would be under the sweep of the guns. Sheer walls of stone rising from the Mississippi could prevent invasion; and the fur trading business could be regulated, as all boats entering or leaving the Indian country must use one or the other of the two rivers.


311ZYZy7hAL